Tuesday, December 2, 2014

Finished Quilt

I finished our quilt!

I am more than happy with the finished quilt.  I am tickled pink that it turned out so beautifully.  I was surprised that it was easier than I anticipated to quilt the whole huge thing with my regular sewing machine.  I credit the Craftsy class Quilting Big Projects on a Small Machine by Ann Peterson for giving me the information and nerve to go ahead and give it a go.

The pattern is the Frame Up Quilt from the book Modern Mix by Jessica Levitt.  I chose the pattern because all of the seams were straight, the lines of the quilt were more modern and the size of the finished quilt matched our bed.  I will admit that wrestling the quilt into proper position for quilting took some doing and required some arm strength.  It was also a bit tiring.  I could do a few blocks at a time and then I would leave and come back to do a few more the next day.  But the results were absolutely worth it!!!!!

I also made larger versions of the blocks to create matching pillow shams for the bed.

This shot gives you an idea of just how large the quilt wound up being.  We have a queen size sleigh bed and I always hated how purchased comforters or quilts left the box spring exposed.  This quilt covers not only the mattress but the box spring as well leaving just a bit of the rails exposed on each side. 

The quilt was done in batiks with 3 shades each of green, orange and brown.  My husband and I chose the fabrics together at our local quilt shop.  We both wanted to have rich, saturated colors on a neutral background.  You can also see the quilting on these close ups of the blocks.

This was the final touch our bedroom needed after painting it a year ago.  We love it!