Thursday, August 6, 2015

Carey Top from Itch to Stitch

Introducing the Carey Top from Itch to Stitch!  Today is the release date for the pattern and I am finally able to share my version with you.  The talented Kennis Wong has designed a new pattern with a relaxed vibe that is an excellent transitional piece in anyone's wardrobe.  The top is designed to be soft and flowing and the fabric recommendations reflect this:  lightweight, drapey fabrics like lightweight silks, voiles, and other soft wovens and knits too!



I was a tester for this pattern.  As a tester, I received the pattern for free to test it.  I received no other compensation and my opinions on the pattern are my own.  I thoroughly enjoyed testing this pattern and found it well drafted and easy to sew.  The only fiddly bits are the ties for the sleeves and the bias binding for the neckline.  The top is an easy make for an experienced sewist and achievable for an ambitious and patient beginner.

My top was made from a Liberty Tana Lawn that I purchased at Liberty of London in 2014 when we were in London.  The print is Ianthe in a colorway they no longer have available.  I was unable to find this particular fabric at any other on line fabric store here in the US.

I was careful to make sure the pattern ran in the same direction on the front and the back.  I cut the contrasting panels on the sleeves running the length of the fabric.


I made a straight size 6 based solely on my measurements.  I did measure the finished size of the garment to ensure that I would not be drowning in it.  What I found is that finished measurement of 42" for a 36" bust was right in line with a similar RTW top that I own.  The top is supposed to be roomy and flowing without being a sack and I believe that goal has been achieved.



Here you can see the tie detail more clearly.  It is a nice, pretty touch without being too fussy.  I really like this pattern and will make it again.  I already have the next version in mind.  I have a very lightweight jersey in a stripe pattern in 2 colorways that I bought on sale at JoAnn Fabrics from the remnant table.  I am going to use the mainly white fabric for the body and use the purple for the insets and possibly a contrasting neckband.


I like this top for casual wear -- it will be perfect for the upcoming transition from the very hot summer we had this year in the Seattle area and the cooler fall.  In a typical year, this is the sort of top that we in the temperate Pacific Northwest can wear most of the year.  Some of the other ladies who tested the top made it from knits or silkier fabrics.  Some used contrast insets or lace insets and it completely changes the look and feel of the top.  Pop on over to Kennis Wong's web site Itch to Stitch to take a look at the other versions.  The pattern is available today and there are other pretty patterns to choose from as well.




1 comment:

  1. It looks great! Really easy to wear but with nice proportions and cute sleeve detail xxx

    ReplyDelete