Wednesday, January 16, 2013

The Silk Blouse Finished!

This is the blouse I made from one of the pieces of silk fabric I bought while visiting London in 2011.  I only bought 1.5 meters so I made a short sleeved blouse.

I chose to make View A of New Look 6009.  The fabric was easily enough for the view and size chosen.  I cut the size 10 with no changes to the pattern.

The major problem with sewing this fabric was that it was SLIPPERY!  Very SLIPPERY.  I was able to do the sewing by pinning, but I had to be very vigilant that the layers were not going their separate ways during seaming.

This is a picture of my finished blouse on my dress form which I have affectionately named Lyntu.

Up close view of the "knotted" neck.  The knot is actually a slit in the center front seam that is then gathered and arranged artfully with the upper neckline and finished off with a small tube of fabric making it look like a knotted front.

I finished the seams using my serger with a  2-thread overlock stitch.  I thought the 2-thread option was the lightest finish and didn't distort or make the seam edges feel bulky compared to the lightness of the fabric.  As you can see, the gathers at the waste are created by a casing created with bias tape.

Back view of the blouse:

I had one pretty natural shell button that glistened gray, pink and blue that made the perfect finish for the back neck of the blouse.

All-in-all this was an easy pattern to cut and sew.  The only real challenge offered was from the material.

I look forward to wearing this soon.  I am hoping to take it on our trip to Las Vegas next month, weather permitting.

No comments:

Post a Comment